Friday, July 27, 2012

A Jelly Bean surprise

A couple of weeks ago I got a welcome surprise on my unlocked Galaxy Nexus. The over-the-air Jelly Bean (Android 4.1 OS) update had come through. At 144Mb in size, it had already downloaded on the home network and was ready to install.

It was all very straightforward and within 5-10 minutes it had installed and checked through the 100 or so apps installed on the Nexus for optimisation to get up and running.

Jelly Bean add some nice polish
to the Android mobile OS
As I've previously posted, I rather liked the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). In fact, I like it a lot and use it daily. With Jelly Bean, it's not so much about new functionality, it's a smoother and faster experience overall.  The 'Project Butter' set of enhancements have definitely improved the scrolling, sharper imagery, orientation changing and general polish of the device and software. The damn thing just feels nicer and perceptibly quicker — a good example where Chrome is loading pages from links.

The more apps you install, the more you notice the number of updates coming through. A number of them have been Jelly Bean optimisations to resolve minor glitches which you may notice on the odd application.

Wi-fi performance in terms of signal bar strength and consistency is also improved, given a volume of feedback on the Android support forums and my own experience which lead me to set it up on a 5Ghz network.  I now consistently get 50-65Mbps performance around the house. The feature I've yet to explore in any depth is Google Now, but the basic testing voice based searching is accurate and fast. A post on that will follow in due course.

The morale of the story for me, is purchasing a pure Google stock device, not tied to any telco.  How long will Samsung or HTC skinned Android models need to wait before Jelly Bean come to these devices?  If you want to get into Android and not stuck to an old OS, this is the way to go.

I'm looking forward to the new iPhone — as the competition has really caught up and has made innovative strides in areas which are better than iOS (think task manager).


No comments:

Post a Comment