Saturday, April 27, 2013

MacBook Pro Retina – the Mac and Windows dream combo

MS Live Writer 2012 screenshot 2

For a while now, I hadn’t been 100% satisfied with my preferred machine and software for writing blog posts. I’d been  looking for better  solution for my writing which balanced portability (to write in the lounge) and desktop like performance, thereby allowing me to write easily wherever I am using the tools to get the job done.

As you know, my favourite blogging solution is Windows Live Writer.  And as it’s on my Lenovo X220 which is my day job  PC, I struggle to make and enjoy the mental separation when blogging in my free time (which in 2013, has been rarely than normal due to the demanding day schedule). I had thought about the Lenovo Carbon X1, but it’s too expensive in relation to a Mac and for more than £1,000 only runs Windows.

An opportunity came up to sell some kit and give the MacBook Air completely to the missus. So I became intrigued with the power, portability and eye catching Retina display qualities of the 13” MacBook Pro Retina. Out of the box with a 128Gb SSD and 8Gb RAM, I got the superior hardware and experience of OS X (of course with that lovely keyboard), and could also run a Windows 7 VM to use Live Writer as I needed. I’m doing that right now. The VM is a 1 processor core and 2Gb and runs well for my lightweight blogging needs.  tart up time for the Windows VM is less than 20 seconds.  Live Writer opens in about 5 seconds. This is a real pleasure, the SSD of course, being the big difference.

Shame Windows it not Retina enhanced, it will make for an even better Windows machine, even better than a PC as reported in the last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment