Sunday, January 29, 2012

How many megs?

I've been on the BT trials recently for their upping of the speed of their fibre service.  I'm with one of the top notch niche ISPs who got me on the trial.

My line was 34meg down and 8meg up before the trial and had been rock solid.  Standard type of FTTC.  was ample for me and the family given everyone is normally on line at  a the same time in the evening and at some part of the weekend.  The new BT trial was to test an up to 80meg service through a frequency expansion on the VDSL2 side.  A bit like going from 8meg ADSL1 to up to 24meg ADSL2+.

Anyway, after BT made the change, my BT modem initially sync'd at 64meg down.  It took a few queries with the ISP to see why my Billion router was still seeing 34meg down via speedtest.net.  Once I realised that I needed to remove some old QoS rules for limiting the bandwith hoggers in the house on the router (ie. children), my magic figure was:

How many megs?










Which was pretty neat.  I suspect the bandwidth increase from up to 40meg to 80 meg is dependent on the usual quality of line, distance from cabinet stuff. Upload increases from 10 to 20meg.  Average latency needs to be in the sub 20ms but get periods like above.  Apparently the existing up to BT Infinity 40meg service will be replaced by the the piloted 80meg one.

Amazing what you can do with copper these days (albeit with a bit of fibre on the chain).

No comments:

Post a Comment