Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A conundrum — MacBook Air vs iPad

I've been lightly using the new MacBook Air 11.6 inch for nearly 3 weeks now.  I like it. For a laptop, it has the speed and performance which was lacking on my old MacBook. Seeing how I also have the 3rd generation iPad, it's been a case of working out when I use the MBA and when I use the iPad.

I have 2 distinct use cases across all of my devices. Reading and light written updates (Consuming) and then Writing and administrator stuff (Creating).  The day job is separate and is Wintel PC based and is not included here.

Consuming
The iPad (and iPhone) are now my most used tools keeping up to date with news and managing transactions on a daily basis. iOS apps represent the easiest and more enjoyable experience in dealing with the web via my staple of daily apps; for example - Tweetbot, Reeder, FlipBoard, The Times, Guardian for iPad, FT, alongside Safari and Sparrow. Mobile banking across the main UK banks now can be done through their iOS apps dependent on how comfortable you are with a) the respective banks 2-factor authentication and application security and b) where you are in terms of connectivity (tip - I never bank on a non-authenticated Wifi spot. Even then, I'll use a VPN connection for more security). Jumsoft Money rounds off a finance application for keeping an eye on bills, spending & investments. In terms of managing the range of tasks and projects, Due and OmniFocus are now the apps of choice. Entertainment is  covered by IMDB, BBC iPlayer and of SkyGo.  Out of reach is Hulu Plus which I leave to the desktop.  Of course, as an app addict, there are countless others which I use and am not mentioning here.

Also in this use case are the lighter types of updates which involve typing. These are mainly tweets and small documents using DocsToGo for DropBox files and the iWork set for iCloud files. Nothing complex, just general stuff to knock out. Comms-wise, this is rounded off by FaceTime and Skype video calls. WebEx will be added soon, since the office is adding this facility.  Blogsy is a new app which I will be be trying out for blogging creation fairly soon.

Creating
On the MBA (and iMac in the office) tweeting is taken care of by Osfoora.  Sparrow for mail.  Chrome for browsing,  Reeder for RSS feeds and office stuff through an array of apps such as Office 2011 for Mac, Evernote, Mindjet MindManager, OmniFocus, Due and ConceptDraw.

In this use case, I feel most confident on the MBA in getting stuff done when I'm on the move.  All key document creation is saved for the MBA. Key system admin tasks also are saved for the MBA or the iMac if I'm at the home office.  Again, there's a myriad of apps I occasionally use which I'm not mentioning.

Video streaming (particularly Flash based services such as FoxSoccer.TV, Hulu and Vudu) happen in this space.  It will be even more interesting when we get Airplay mirroring via the Mountain Lion this summer.

Conundrum
So why the conundrum? Since by use cases, it seems pretty clear cut. Essentially, it's about the gap in experience between the products.  I recognise it's always easier to be coloured by the newer product.

On the one hand, the MBA is a pure delight to use and the best laptop I've ever used.. The illuminated keyboard is great. It's essentially narrowed the gap on the better parts of the iOS world, with SSD performance to provide instant on capability with a battery that covers about 5 hours worth of juice.  It has a solid 16:9 display. It boots within a minute or so and is portable enough to slip into the man-bag or whatever you want to call it nowadays.  I'm writing this post on it right now.

However, the new iPad as I shared previously, has set a new standard for display quality and UI performance. It feels strange to say how iOSification from the mobile world, is now affecting the perceptions and expectations of the traditional laptop - no matter how perfectly formed and great to use the MBA is right now.

I now view the ability to do some level of direct screen gesturing on the MBA as a must have. I want voice Siri voice control of apps and common tasks. I want to see the iOSification of apps via my Pad and Phone data available on my MBA. Dare I say it, the lack of Retina display leaves the MBA somewhat lower in value in my perception of things.

On the iPad side, a better access to a Mac-like keyboard is required to be better able to handle the more full-fledged document creation side of things. Of course, the apps and cloud integration aspects need to compatible with each other to allow the user to choose where to access their stuff, regardless of device (read Dropbox and iCloud need to talk to each other).

Apple are clearly working on this. As OSX and iOS are distinct and separate, their experience must be unifying for the user.  Mountain Lion is a clear enabler of this direction.  Additionally, it got me thinking, perhaps an Apple execution of the hybrid PC & tablet is really where Apple and other hardware makers are ultimately going with the same mobile chipset and OS across all form factors in portfolio. The first to market have been Lenovo and Asus with Android and Windows variants, but as we know this is never just about the hardware.  From an Apple standpoint, it's the sort of story that gets the usual  rumour & speculation. Strategically it would make sense for Apple to combine its OS and applications platforms across multiple mobile devices as a longer term goal. Each of them with emphasis on voice, touch and typing for either consumption or creation. It may also pave the way for other utility devices and applications to be added into the ecosystem in order to strengthen it. Windows 8/SOA anyone?

For now, my distinct use cases, I think I'm fine to swap between the MBA and iPad, dependent on what I need to do at that moment, where I am and what kind of connectivity I'll have.  I'm sure Apple wouldn't have it any other way :)









2 comments:

  1. For a external iPad keyboard you pair it with an Apple Bluetooth one - at the expensive of weight and bulk.

    I was not aware of ConceptDraw, it looks nice. But crazy you cannot see a price unless you create an account? So how much is it? However I am not sure I want to buy too much outside the Mac App store these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. I do see that, I sense there is the potential for better innovation in this area.

    ConceptDraw is a powerful piece of software and it does costs. £200 the last time I checked for a brand new license. Unless need it right now, I think it may be better to wait until Mountain Lion when apps need to play to the sandbox rules. Plus, potentially better pricing in the store.

    ReplyDelete